GWCOC FOUNDATION HISTORY
Established in August 2007, Greater Wildwood Chamber of Commerce Foundation is a non-profit public benefit corporation organized exclusively for charitable, educational, literary and scientific purposes as a community trust.
In 1999, the Greater Wildwood Chamber of Commerce hosted the inaugural Wildwoods Restaurant Showcase. The event was created as a fundraising effort to provide educational scholarships to local high school students with the desire to continue into secondary education. Upon the Foundation’s establishment, it became responsible for continuing the efforts of raising scholarship funds for local students. What started out as a small event, grew larger with each ensuing year.
Embraced by community support and the dedication of many volunteers, The Wildwoods Restaurant Showcase is stronger than ever. In 2021, approximately 30 local restaurants participated in this event, sharing samples of their signature dishes with the 300 individuals in attendance. To date, over $200,000 has been awarded to students from the Wildwoods Community.
In addition to Wildwoods Restaurant Showcase, the Foundation began hosting Drag Queen Bingo events in 2018. These events have seen great success, and we anticipate that they will continue to grow year after year. The Foundation also runs a holiday bus trip to New York City. Each of these events are integral in maintaining the Foundation’s funding.
In 2012, Greater Wildwood Chamber of Commerce Foundation started offering small grants/donations to local organizations. As it continues to grow, The Greater Wildwood Chamber of Commerce Foundation works to expand its philanthropies to be able to offer grants and scholarships for education and training opportunities to the community.
GWCOC FOUNDATION MISSION STATEMENT
As a Community Trust, we invest in the people who we believe will contribute to the long-term benefit of our residents, our businesses, and our visitors. To meet that objective, we provide financial assistance for students who reside in the Wildwoods, and to organizations that support charitable activities within the community.
GWCOC FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Greater Wildwood Chamber of Commerce Foundation awards scholarships on the basis of a comprehensive process. Areas that are reviewed by the committee include, but are not limited to, the following: Academic Accomplishments, Community Service, References, Personal Essay, Career Choice and Financial Need. Greater Wildwood Chamber of Commerce Foundation pays scholarship funds directly to the recipient. Scholarships are awarded at the completion of the first semester if the student maintains a minimum 2.75 GPA and is enrolled as a full-time student for the following semester. The Greater Wildwood Chamber of Commerce Foundation scholarships are awarded without regard to race, color, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation. Scholarships awarded are based upon the availability of funds and additional qualifying criteria.
- Applicants must have permanent residence status in the Wildwoods (North Wildwood, Wildwood Crest, West Wildwood or Wildwood).
- Applicants must attend Wildwood High School, Wildwood Catholic High School, Cape May County Vo-Tech High School, or Cape Christian Academy.
- Applicants must be completing high school successfully with a minimum unweighted GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants must be accepted as a full-time student at a college, university, or trade school program for the upcoming academic semester.
- Applicants must demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants must be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States.
- Applicants must complete and submit a Scholarship Application by Friday, April 14, 2023 @ 4:00pm.
- Scholarship recipients will receive their check for the next semester only after their grades from the previous semester have been received.